It is also known as the “Ottoman Mosque”. Located in the small village of Al-Badiyah (or Al-Bidiyah), AlBidya Mosque is still in use.
The mosque’s date of construction is uncertain. Fujairah Archaeology and Heritage Department concluded that it was built in 1446 AD, along with the two watchtowers overlooking the mosque and the village.
Taking the area of 53 square meters (570 sq ft), AlBidya Mosque has a square structure and was made from materials available in the area: primarily stones of various sizes and mud bricks coated in many layers of whitewashed plaster.
The roof has four squats and helical domes that are supported by one centrally placed pillar, which forms the ceiling. The entrance to the mosque is through double-winged wooden doors.
The prayer hall has a small mihrab, a simple pulpit, arches, and openings. A central pillar divides the internal space into four squares of similar dimensions. Inside the prayer hall, a number of small decorative windows allow light and air to enter the mosque. There are also cube-shaped spaces carved into the thick walls where copies of the Quran and other books are stored.
AlBidya Mosque continues to host daily prayers, and is a tourist attraction.
498 total views, 3 views today