This preserved mountain fortress is located in the Wadi Hayl (to the West of Fujairah), in a remote and mountainous area, with military exhibits.
Constructed in 1932 by Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamdan Al Sharqi, the fort formed his principal residence for the following two decades. Consisting of a fortified courtyard house and an associated watchtower with commanding views to the East and West of Wadi Hayl, Al Hayl Fort overlooks the old village of Al Hayl, of which many buildings have now been restored.
Al Hail Fort is made of gabbro/dolerite rocks bound with a soft mud mortar and faced with plaster. To the interiors, gypsum plaster was used. The woodwork of the building was mangrove with hardwood planking.
Al Hayl Fort has often been referred to as a summer house, however, it was Abdullah bin Hamdan Al Sharqi’s residence until he moved to a house constructed in Mirbah in 1958.
377 total views, 1 views today